To Syrina With Love

Syrina is 12 years old (born January 18, 1995). When she was 18 months old, she was diagnosed with autism and epilepsy. Even now, she can't speak, can't go to the toilet (she wears specially made diapers), and can't do such rudimentary things as feeding herself using a fork and/or spoon. This blog is comprised of all the things I would love to say to her, but which I don't know that she'll ever understand. I, of course, am her mother.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Tyne & Wear, United Kingdom

I'm an American "ex-pat," having moved to my husband's hometown in 2003. I'm now enjoying life as a "domestic goddess" ... or as close to one as I can GET! *lol* I've been married to the love of my life since 1999, and I have 4 gorgeous girls, of whom I'm very proud. I can be a little neurotic and krazy at times... and very opinionated. However, as opinionated as I am, I'm also very open-minded and have a "live and let live" attitude. I'm a walking, breathing contradiction... and that's why people love me. :)

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

News on the DLA front!!!!

Hubby just came through the living room practically jumping up and down. He got a phone call from the Disability Living Allowance people - after months and months ... and months ... of waiting.

Apparently they've changed the law regarding who can and can't receive Disability Living Allowances. Specifically for children's cases. She was being denied due to the fact that she's actually American and not British. But now, it doesn't matter what nationality the CHILD is. What matters is the nationality of the person claiming FOR the child. And since Hubby is the only one of us who CAN claim anything in this country, he's the one claiming for her. All he has to do is go into town tomorrow, send a photocopy of his passport along with a written statement as to HIS nationality to the DLA people, and they're going to send a doctor out here to see Syrina. Once the doctor sees Syrina, there's no way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks that they can possibly deny her. It's all a matter of time.

(I said to Hubby earlier that, in a way, I almost hope that this doctor shows up when she's trying to eat something... so he/she can see just how INcapable she really is. As soon as anybody sees the way she is while she's trying to do something as mundane as eating, they realize just how severe her disabilities really are. It's something we take for granted, but something she can't do on her own at all.)

The big question now is how long are they going to take to get all this done, and how far back are they going to back-date her payments. Just like social security in the U.S., DLA will back-date a claim for disability. But I don't know if they'd be willing to back-date it to the first time we submitted a claim (which is what social security in the U.S. did - I ended up getting nearly $10,000 in back-dated benefits, which came in really handy for paying off certain bills so that we could move out of the homeless shelter we were living in at the time)... or if they're only going to back-date it for a certain amount of time. Like with the Child Tax Benefit we get... it took them nearly a year to completely settle our claim, and when we were finally fully approved, they backdated it for 3 months. Even though we'd been waiting a lot longer than that, they were only willing to back-date it for that long. Technically it's the same governmental body dealing with the DLA as with the Child Tax Credit, but I don't know if the same rules apply to all forms of benefits or not.

Either way, that means that we're going to be a lot better off. No more of this nearly starving at the end of the month because we didn't have enough money to get through. And when the kids need something, more than likely we'll be able to get it for them. We might even be able to afford to go out and DO things with these kids!!! What a concept!!!!

I can't even put into words what a relief this is. After so long of trying to be careful with our money; trying to make it last an entire month but never succeeding. After all the stress and conflict never having enough money has caused. It's like I can see a giant forklift coming towards me, ready to take the weight of the world off my shoulders. It hasn't quite gotten to me yet, but I can see it coming and that in itself is a relief.

WooooooooHooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jackie said...

WWHHAAAAAAAA-HOOOOOO, YEA!! If the doctor looks like he might try to say you don't need it, tell 'im that an American Soldier has a passport and will have no problem getting into the country to whoop up on some butt!

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home