To Syrina With Love

Syrina is 12 years old (born January 18, 1995). When she was 18 months old, she was diagnosed with autism and epilepsy. Even now, she can't speak, can't go to the toilet (she wears specially made diapers), and can't do such rudimentary things as feeding herself using a fork and/or spoon. This blog is comprised of all the things I would love to say to her, but which I don't know that she'll ever understand. I, of course, am her mother.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Tyne & Wear, United Kingdom

I'm an American "ex-pat," having moved to my husband's hometown in 2003. I'm now enjoying life as a "domestic goddess" ... or as close to one as I can GET! *lol* I've been married to the love of my life since 1999, and I have 4 gorgeous girls, of whom I'm very proud. I can be a little neurotic and krazy at times... and very opinionated. However, as opinionated as I am, I'm also very open-minded and have a "live and let live" attitude. I'm a walking, breathing contradiction... and that's why people love me. :)

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Modesty and other teenager-y stuff

It's strange how downright "normal" you can be sometimes.

Recently - I'd say in the last 6 months or so - you've become more and more modest. You don't want your Dad changing you... like... EVER. You're not exactly happy about me changing you, either, but you don't cry and fight me like you do with your Dad. You just try not to let me see your "stuff" any more than I absolutely have to.

And bathing you has become the experience of a lifetime!

Again, you don't want your Dad touching you. You scream and cry if he tries to give you your bath. When I started taking over (your Dad does your sisters now, and I do you), you didn't scream and cry at me, but you weren't exactly co-operative with me, either. And bending over like that was absolutely killing my back.

So I came up with the idea of taking you in the shower with me. It solves a lot of problems. First, it saves on water consumption and gas to heat the water. Second, it's easier on my back. No bending required. And third, I thought that maybe if you saw that what I do to you to get you clean is the exact same thing I do to myself to get myself clean, that you'd be able to deal with it easier. I didn't expect you to be happy about it, but I thought maybe it'd be easier for you to deal with. And I was right.

But damn, if you're not the most un-co-operative person in the world!

We just had a shower a little while ago, and you kept pushing me away, like you didn't want me to wash you. And I said something to the effect of, "I wouldn't do this if YOU knew HOW to do it yourself!" and you looked at me like it was a totally new revelation for you. As if you honestly thought that I do all of these things for you because I want to, and because I don't want you to do anything for yourself.

OF COURSE I DO, SILLY!!!

It would literally be an absolute dream come true if you were able to do things for yourself, like using the toilet, feeding yourself, and washing yourself. I don't LIKE treating you like a baby. You're 11 year's old, for Pete's Sake!

"Normal" 11 year old's don't have to wear diapers, be spoon-fed, or need other people to wash them.

But you know what? I TOTALLY and COMPLETELY understand why it bothers you. I was the same way when I was your age, and I was "normal." At least I think I was normal. Who the hell knows. Who the hell knows what "normal" is any freaking way.

It's just something I found surprising. So many times you are like a baby in an 11 year old's body, that I just don't think that there might be a part of you that is like every other 11 year old girl in the world.

And while it might make life just a tiny bit more difficult for us, I'm glad you're at least a little bit "normal."

Every little bit counts. Smile





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home