To Syrina With Love

Syrina is 12 years old (born January 18, 1995). When she was 18 months old, she was diagnosed with autism and epilepsy. Even now, she can't speak, can't go to the toilet (she wears specially made diapers), and can't do such rudimentary things as feeding herself using a fork and/or spoon. This blog is comprised of all the things I would love to say to her, but which I don't know that she'll ever understand. I, of course, am her mother.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Tyne & Wear, United Kingdom

I'm an American "ex-pat," having moved to my husband's hometown in 2003. I'm now enjoying life as a "domestic goddess" ... or as close to one as I can GET! *lol* I've been married to the love of my life since 1999, and I have 4 gorgeous girls, of whom I'm very proud. I can be a little neurotic and krazy at times... and very opinionated. However, as opinionated as I am, I'm also very open-minded and have a "live and let live" attitude. I'm a walking, breathing contradiction... and that's why people love me. :)

Thursday, June 01, 2006

I should have known


It occurs to me now that I should have realized something was wrong, but I really just didn't think of it.

You didn't finish your dinner. At the time, I thought that maybe you had stolen some of your sisters' dinner - or, as sometimes happens, that they had GIVEN you some of their dinner. I thought maybe you'd just had enough to eat. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

You didn't even try stealing Daddy's and my dinner tonight. You came and looked at what we were eating, but you didn't try stealing it.

And then when Caitlin came home, she tried to give you some of her dinner, but you didn't want that either.

And still it didn't occur to me.

But then, after Caitlin disappeared into my room and your sisters fell asleep upstairs, it happened.

You threw up all over your bed.

I got it cleaned up, got you in the shower for a quickie clean-up (heck, you needed a shower anyway), and sat you down on the couch with me. I told you I wanted to be able to keep an eye on you, in case you started feeling sick again.

Luckily, that hasn't been the case - at least not yet. You did wake up at one point and sit up, letting out a few stinky burps, but you haven't gotten sick again.

But I should have realized that since you weren't eating, something was wrong. That's usually how it goes. But then again, you DID eat. Just not that MUCH.

Ah well. It's not like there was anything I could have done for you anyway. I don't have anything that says "keeps puke from coming up."

Unfortunately!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home