To Syrina With Love

Syrina is 12 years old (born January 18, 1995). When she was 18 months old, she was diagnosed with autism and epilepsy. Even now, she can't speak, can't go to the toilet (she wears specially made diapers), and can't do such rudimentary things as feeding herself using a fork and/or spoon. This blog is comprised of all the things I would love to say to her, but which I don't know that she'll ever understand. I, of course, am her mother.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Tyne & Wear, United Kingdom

I'm an American "ex-pat," having moved to my husband's hometown in 2003. I'm now enjoying life as a "domestic goddess" ... or as close to one as I can GET! *lol* I've been married to the love of my life since 1999, and I have 4 gorgeous girls, of whom I'm very proud. I can be a little neurotic and krazy at times... and very opinionated. However, as opinionated as I am, I'm also very open-minded and have a "live and let live" attitude. I'm a walking, breathing contradiction... and that's why people love me. :)

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Amazing

I still find it amazing that, while you have almost no communication skills yourself, you seem to understand almost everything I say to you.

I call you, and you come to me. I tell you that dinner's ready (or breakfast or lunch), and you go sit in "your spot."

I tell you I love you, and you smile at me - and most of the time, either hug me or kiss me.

I say good morning to you, and you smile, jump up and down, and kiss me.

When I'm vacuuming, and you're in my way, you move when I ask you to - and even sometimes BEFORE I get the CHANCE to ask you to.

If you're looking for something (food, drink), and I guess which one it is, you do your best to let me know that I've guessed correctly (usually by jumping up and down excitedly), even when I don't have said item in my hands.

You do more to let your feelings known than your Daddy does - and he doesn't have the difficulties you do!

It's funny how people automatically assume that my life is harder having you in it. They just don't understand that while yes, you are disabled and can't do very much for yourself, you're actually the easiest of my children to deal with. As long as you've been changed, fed, and have a drink, you're the happiest, go-lucky-est child I've ever known. You don't fight with anybody, you don't mess things up on purpose, you don't purposely misbehave (well, usually - you have your moments, but I don't exactly expect you to be a perfect little angel). I hate to say it, but there have been times, when your sisters have been at their worst, when I think about how much easier my life would have been if I HAD stopped having children after you, as my entire family wanted me to.

It still boggles my brain that they wanted me to keep having abortions, just on the off chance that any of your sisters MIGHT be like you. Talk about STUPID!

And even if they were, so what? You are the happiest, most loving child I've ever seen. You have a smile for everyone, and the tiniest little things put a smile on your face. You hardly ever whine, and when you do, you've got a good reason (sometimes I don't know WHAT that reason is, but you always have one - it just takes ME a while to figure out what it is). Everyone who's ever met you - aside from that little b*tch that your sister calls a "friend" - absolutely adores you. And why shouldn't they? You are a unique individual, but you so obviously have a big heart and love everybody. All the kids in your class love you... and don't get me started on the staff at school! You've GOT to be one of the "favorites," even if they don't want to admit it.

You are an amazing person. You've got all these difficulties, but it never seems to get you down for long. You can't talk, but you communicate in your own way - and, might I add, quite well, too. Anybody who's known you for any length of time has figured out what certain gestures and facial expressions mean. You are happier than I've ever been in my life.

I wish I could be more like you. Now how strange is that? But you know what? It doesn't seem strange to me. You have strength, an inner kind of strength that only those who know you best would be able to see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home