To Syrina With Love

Syrina is 12 years old (born January 18, 1995). When she was 18 months old, she was diagnosed with autism and epilepsy. Even now, she can't speak, can't go to the toilet (she wears specially made diapers), and can't do such rudimentary things as feeding herself using a fork and/or spoon. This blog is comprised of all the things I would love to say to her, but which I don't know that she'll ever understand. I, of course, am her mother.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Tyne & Wear, United Kingdom

I'm an American "ex-pat," having moved to my husband's hometown in 2003. I'm now enjoying life as a "domestic goddess" ... or as close to one as I can GET! *lol* I've been married to the love of my life since 1999, and I have 4 gorgeous girls, of whom I'm very proud. I can be a little neurotic and krazy at times... and very opinionated. However, as opinionated as I am, I'm also very open-minded and have a "live and let live" attitude. I'm a walking, breathing contradiction... and that's why people love me. :)

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Attempts to Interact

I just saw the coolest thing!

I'm sitting here in the living room with my laptop on the coffee table, and the Terror Twins (Lexi & Chloe) were sitting on the floor next to me, playing with a couple of small balls.

Syrina walked up to them and stood in the middle of the two of them, watching what they were doing. She then bent down and tried to interact with the two of them, but they were only paying attention to each other, not her, and didn't realize what she was doing. After a few seconds I could see her change her mind and she walked into her bedroom.

That's the first time - EVER - that I've seen Syrina actually attempt to interact with the two of them, though! Even though it didn't quite work, I could see her trying to do it. And to be honest, she didn't wait very long for them to figure out what she was doing. If she'd tried a little harder, they might have "gotten it" and let her play with them.

But still... it's a start! If she's going to try once, who's to say she won't try again? And eventually, she might actually be able to get them to understand that she actually does want to play with them!

I just thought it was the coolest thing... and since I had the laptop open ANYWAY.... I thought I'd write a post about it!

:)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home