To Syrina With Love

Syrina is 12 years old (born January 18, 1995). When she was 18 months old, she was diagnosed with autism and epilepsy. Even now, she can't speak, can't go to the toilet (she wears specially made diapers), and can't do such rudimentary things as feeding herself using a fork and/or spoon. This blog is comprised of all the things I would love to say to her, but which I don't know that she'll ever understand. I, of course, am her mother.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Tyne & Wear, United Kingdom

I'm an American "ex-pat," having moved to my husband's hometown in 2003. I'm now enjoying life as a "domestic goddess" ... or as close to one as I can GET! *lol* I've been married to the love of my life since 1999, and I have 4 gorgeous girls, of whom I'm very proud. I can be a little neurotic and krazy at times... and very opinionated. However, as opinionated as I am, I'm also very open-minded and have a "live and let live" attitude. I'm a walking, breathing contradiction... and that's why people love me. :)

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Mother's Day Presents



Mother's Day was this past Sunday here in the U.K. I didn't actually get my gifts from Syrina until Tuesday, but that was because I'd had to keep her home the Friday before (she's not been doing too great lately - nothing serious, just kind of "blah").

I got this lovely potted plant and some chocolate cakes - those are LONG gone, of course!

If this plant is anything like the last one she gave me, it'll be around for a while. Two years ago, she gave me a potted hyacinth for Mother's Day. It was fine for a while, but then it seemed to die off. I stuck it in the back garden with the intent of cleaning out the pot to use for something else, but back in January I happened to look out the window while I was washing the dishes, and I saw green things coming out of the pot. The shoots are now about 8 inches high, and there are lovely pink flowers coming out of it as well!!!! I thought the darned thing was dead!

I don't think Syrina's paint job on this pot is going to last very long, though. I've already had a bunch of paint come off on my fingers when I was trying to water it. It's just water-based paint, the kind the kids always use at school, so I'm not surprised. But that's one of the reasons I wanted to get a picture of it. At least this way I can remember what it originally looked like, even if it's not going to last very long.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Scattered Marbles said...

Syrina is beautiful, and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this blog. I was a live in caregiver for 3 years for a 21 year old girl with autism which was a challenge but was also a joy. It is hard to know sometimes what to do when you are dealing with autistic people, the emotional and social distance is always very apparent but those little steps, the tiny pieces of progress do warm the heart though and keep giving hope.

Keep up the wonderful job, I know it is often a thankless one.. but you are definitely a ray of light in her life :D

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home