To Syrina With Love

Syrina is 12 years old (born January 18, 1995). When she was 18 months old, she was diagnosed with autism and epilepsy. Even now, she can't speak, can't go to the toilet (she wears specially made diapers), and can't do such rudimentary things as feeding herself using a fork and/or spoon. This blog is comprised of all the things I would love to say to her, but which I don't know that she'll ever understand. I, of course, am her mother.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Tyne & Wear, United Kingdom

I'm an American "ex-pat," having moved to my husband's hometown in 2003. I'm now enjoying life as a "domestic goddess" ... or as close to one as I can GET! *lol* I've been married to the love of my life since 1999, and I have 4 gorgeous girls, of whom I'm very proud. I can be a little neurotic and krazy at times... and very opinionated. However, as opinionated as I am, I'm also very open-minded and have a "live and let live" attitude. I'm a walking, breathing contradiction... and that's why people love me. :)

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

DLA Physician Appointment



Well... it went pretty well, I think.

Syrina was quite cooperative for a change. She wasn't whiny or anything, but I think having been in her wheelchair helped. She's spent most of the day in that thing.

I was asked all kinds of questions. What does she do during the day? Does she have any bowel control? Can she feed herself? When was she diagnosed? What are her seizures like? So many questions I just can't remember them all. I pretty much had to explain Syrina in full detail - from birth to now.

She did something kind of odd - in a funny way - while we were there, though. There was a little examination room off the interview room, with a medical bed and all that stuff in there. She sat on the FOOTSTOOL attached to the bed! *lol* Of all the places to sit!

The doctor said that he'd have to write up his recommendation and send it off to the DLA review board, and we'd have to wait to hear from them. Which is pretty much what I expected. This whole process is very similar to what I had to go through with Social Security in the U.S.


So HOPEFULLY in a few weeks I'll have some very exciting news to post. Fingers crossed, knock on wood, all that stuff. :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home